The benefits of desexing your pet
Preventing the oversupply of dogs and cats
Throughout the animals shelters of Melbourne, many thousands of healthy dogs and cats are put down each year simply because we have too many of them within animal shelters.
Council registration is significantly cheaper for desexed pets.
- Decreased urge to wander, roam or escape
- Calming influence on behaviour and a reduction in some aggressive behaviours
- No ovarian, uterine or testicular cancer
- Desexing prevents pyometra-a life-threatening disease in dogs
- Desexing reduces mammary cancer and prostatic disease
- Desexing prevents bi-yearly problems associated with on heat females, such as blood staining, male dogs visiting, or cats calling
- Decrease spraying in male cats
- Decrease cat aggression and asociated fighting, abscesses, and FIV